Overview: Ideal candidates we recruit for sales manager jobs are typically those who can combine applied, practical selling techniques with the discipline of sales operations management. They understand the importance of net sales as the typical measurement and performance indicator of sales management and how sales from products and services drive the profitability of most commercial ventures.
Sales managers do everything from managing people (sale associates/executives) and setting up sales training programs, to establishing sales quotas and analyzing sales statistics. Robust communication and decision-making skills are very important, since people in sales manager jobs are expected to report up to senior management in addition to reporting down to sales associates and also, quite often, to the public.
Employees in sales manager jobs must be able plan and budget effectively to meet sales targets. They’ll need to know how to devise strategies and techniques to achieve those sales targets, and they’ll need to do so while motivating team members to work cohesively and collaboratively around a common objective. In addition to selling, branding promotion, and other duties, sales managers may also be expected to maintain and imporve relationships with clients and customers.
Educational Requirements: Those in sales manager jobs typically possess a bachelor’s or master’s degree, such as a Masters of Business Administration, especially where a technical skillset is required. Though many in sales manager jobs have worked their way up into the role through exceptional performance and experience, possessing no more than a high school diploma.
Hiring Trends: Sales manager jobs were recently ranked second-best among sales and marketing jobs by U.S. News & World Report, where the Bureau of Labor Statistics projected employment to increase by 5% for sales managers between 2014 and 2024. While growth among sales manager jobs varies by industry, it’s predicted that 19,000 sales manager jobs will open up during this time period and that the increase in online shopping will fuel greater growth among managers who sell products to businesses nationwide rather than to consumers in brick-and-mortar stores.*
Expected Salary: The Bureau of Labor Statistics placed the median salary of sales manager jobs at $110,660 in 2014, where the best-paid made more than $187,199 and the worst-paid made about $53,620. Those working for securities and commodity exchanges and brokerages and other financial services firms were among the most highly compensated, and were typically found in metropolitan areas, such as New York NY, Bridgeport CT and San Jose CA.*
Typical Job Description: Here’s a sales manager job description template published by folks over at Hubspot. This sample is designed to assist HR talent professionals who need to create a job application that will attract qualified candidates, as well as job candidates who are seeking to understand the specific job duties and requirements of sales manager jobs.
- Work with Marketing to ensure consistent lead generation.
- Collaborate with sales leadership to create and train prospecting process.
- Collaborate with sales leadership to create and train lead qualification process.
- Hire high-performing salespeople according to HR staffing guidelines.
- Train new salespeople to ensure success.
- Manage day-to-day performance of all sales team members and deliver reviews.
- Work with sales leadership to generate ideas for sales contests and motivational initiatives.
- Lead and schedule weekly and/or monthly team meetings with sales team and leadership.
- Track sales team metrics and report data to leadership on a regular basis.
- Coach and develop direct reports.
- Implement performance plans according to company procedure.
- Embody company culture and maintain high sales employee engagement.
- Collaborate with IT on sales technology initiatives.
- Meet pre-determined revenue goals through the activities of direct reports.
- Ensure correct usage of CRM and other sales applications.
- Train and ensure adherence to sales process.
Bachelor’s degree; business and marketing majors preferred.
Three to five years in a sales representative role; within industry preferred.
One year of prior management experience or demonstrated willingness and ability to learn management basics.
- Strong intrapersonal skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with data analysis and reporting.
- Hardworking, persistent, and dependable.
- Positive and enthusiastic. **
* Best Jobs, U.S. News & World Report, (Accessed June 20, 2016).
** Farrington, Jonathan. The Skills That Should Be in Every Sales Manager Job Description, Hubspot, Feb. 17, 2016 (Accessed June 20, 2016).
Victoria James Executive Search Is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Organization
Victoria James Executive Search is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action organization, providing reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures.
If you’re having difficulty using our online system and need accommodation due to a disability, contact us about your interest in employment by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at +1-203-750-8838 weekdays from 9 am to 6 pm EST.
We specialize in placing mid- to senior-level candidates in the direct marketing, online, digital, ecommerce and interactive fields. Below you’ll find links to positions for which we’re ACTIVELY RECRUITING, or you can register below.