Overview: Account manager jobs are found at most companies, and they’re usually responsible for managing sales and cultivating and growing relationships with particular customers. Account managers maintain existing client relationships so that they’ll continue to do business with the company. Account manager jobs are typically more relationship-driven rather than having to do with the daily, practical aspects of running an account. Those in account manager jobs are often asked to liaison between the customer service and the sales teams in a company, with the overall goal of fostering long-term relationships with the company’s portfolio of assigned clients. Account managers are usually focused on understanding customer demands, in order to meet the demands and generate sales for the company.
A set of common shared responsibilities for account manager jobs might include:
- Generating sales for a portfolio of accounts and reach the company’s sales target
- Identifying new and value-added sales opportunities within existing accounts, and strengthening client relationships through up-selling and cross-selling.
- Managing and resolving conflicts with clients.
- Interacting and coordinating with the sales team and other staff members in other departments working on the same account.
- Establishing budgets with clients and with the company.
- Meeting deadlines for accounts in a timely manner.*
Educational Requirements: Account manager jobs generally require a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, finance, economics or other related field. What’s more, communication skills and customer service experience are paramount, since robust interaction with clients is usually required. Proficiency in computer and software programs, including PowerPoint and sales CRMs like SalesForce.com and LinkedIn Navigator, are also essential. Those in account manager jobs are frequently called upon to make engaging presentations to groups and individuals, and the ability to speak a second language is also desirable in many cases.
The future looks bright for account manager jobs. Account manager jobs are expected to grow at about 13 percent, as compared to an estimated growth of 10.12 percent for all other career fields over the same period of time. What’s more, during the next six years, account manager jobs are expected to grow at a rate that’s 28 percent higher than the national average for annual salaries, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.**
Expected Salary: Candidates looking to fill account manager jobs can expect an annual salary of around $81,176, according to GlassDoor.com. This salary estimate is based on 34,863 salaries submitted anonymously to Glassdoor from account manager employees on the site, with a slightly higher average of $85,000 reflected in the New York City area. But Payscale.com listed a median annual salary of $50,761 for account manager jobs and up to $81,000 for senior-skill-level practitioners. This was before taking locational influences into account, they said, and the highest paying skills associated with account manager jobs included strategic sales, contract negotiation, sales management, and account sales.***
Typical Job Description: Here’s a sample account manager job description from the folks over at Workable designed to assist HR talent professionals who need to create a job application that will attract qualified candidates, as well as job candidates who are seeking to understand the specific job duties and requirements of business development manager jobs.
Account Manager Job Responsibilities:
Account Managers will partner with and ensure the long-term success of our customers.
Account Manager Job Duties:
You will be responsible for developing long-term relationships with a portfolio of assigned customers, connecting with key business executives and stakeholders. You will liaise between customers and cross-functional internal teams to ensure the timely and successful delivery of our solutions according to customer needs.
- Operate as the lead point of contact for any and all matters specific to your customers.
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships.
- Develop a trusted advisor relationship with key accounts, customer stakeholders and executive sponsors.
- Ensure the timely and successful delivery of our solutions according to customer needs and objectives.
- Communicate clearly the progress of monthly/quarterly initiatives to internal and external stakeholders.
- Forecast and track key account metrics.
- Identify and grow opportunities within territory and collaborate with sales teams to ensure growth attainment.
- Assist with high severity requests or issue escalations as needed.
- Proven account management or other relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, present and influence credibly and effectively at all levels of the organization, including executive and C-level.
- Experience in delivering client-focused solutions based on customer needs.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time while paying strict attention to detail
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- BA/BS degree or equivalent****
* Account Manager, Wikipedia, (Accessed June 21, 2016).
** Career Explorer. Account Manager, (Accessed June 21, 2016).
*** Workable. Account Manager Job Description, (Accessed June 21, 2016).
Victoria James Executive Search Is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Organization
Victoria James Executive Search is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action organization, providing reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures.
If you’re having difficulty using our online system and need accommodation due to a disability, contact us about your interest in employment by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at +1-203-750-8838 weekdays from 9 am to 6 pm EST.
We specialize in placing mid- to senior-level candidates in the direct marketing, online, digital, ecommerce and interactive fields. Below you’ll find links to positions for which we’re ACTIVELY RECRUITING, or you can register below.